The Weekend Guide
If Diwali is for visiting homes, then Christmas is undoubtedly the festival for eating out, going by the number of establishments serving specials this year. The options include Christmas day brunches at Indigo, The Café at Le Mill, and Italian eatery Corleone at the InterContinental Marine Drive, and a set menu at Asian fine-dining restaurant Hakkasan, to name just a few. You can also buy, for yourself or to gift, goodie-packed hampers from Debailleul, Godrej Nature’s Basket and the Bombay Baking Company at the J. W. Marriott. Alternatively, you could sign the kids up for a gingerbread cookie making workshop at The Oberoi’s all-day restaurant Fenix or head to Blue Frog, where along with chowing down on roast turkey and pudding, you can listen to carols by pun-friendly gospel group G-Sus.
When: Until Sunday, December 25.
Where: See here and here for details.
L. N Tallur at the Bhau Daji Lad Museum
The museum handout accompanying this show says that South Korea-based Indian artist L. N. Tallur used Einstein’s theory of relativity as the starting point for this exhibition. Don’t let the heavyweight subject matter intimidate you. As is evidenced by his ATM (anger therapy machine), a stately contraption with two seats for its temperamental subjects; and his androgynous wooden deity hacking itself with an electric chainsaw, Tallur isn’t above injecting a little underlying humour (albeit of the vaguely macabre sort) into his works. Don’t miss “Pedestal on Pedestal”, an Escher-like sculpture of six fused pedestals placed on, what else, a pedestal; and “Elephanta Elephant”, a wooden reproduction of the stone elephant that sits near the entrance of the Bhau Daji Lad museum.
When: Until Saturday, February 4. Thursday to Tuesday, 10am to 5.30pm; Wednesday closed.
Where: Bhau Daji Lad Museum, next to the Byculla Zoo, 91A Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Road, Byculla (East). Tel: 6556 0394.
ALSO AROUND TOWN
• Dance to the tunes of Shaa’ir + Func on Thursday, December 22, from 10.30pm, at Red Ant Café, where frontwoman Shaa’ir aka Monica Dogra’s expressive on-stage persona—as well as the visuals accompanying the music—should be compelling enough to keep your eyes off the Bandra lounge’s garish décor. Call the venue for details of the entry fee, if any. Next to Global Fusion, Third Floor, Link Square Mall, Linking Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 2646 9005.
• Browse the goods on offer at Andheri store Bliss’s year-end shopping carnival this Friday, December 23 and Saturday, December 24, from 11.30am to 8.30pm. They include coin purses, clutches, embroidered totes, wall hangings, hand-painted bookmarks, lamps, bead and metal earrings, bangles, hair accessories, tops, tunics, and party dresses. 180, Aram Nagar 1, Seven Bungalows, Versova, Andheri (West). Tel: 2633 2111.
• Attend a tribute to Mario de Miranda on Friday, December 23, at 6pm at Cool Chef Café, where friends and fans will speak about the beloved cartoonist at an exhibition of the drawings he made of the performers and audiences at annual jazz music festival Jazz Yatra, over the last three decades. 329/A Thadani House, Worli Village, first left after the Bandra-Worli Sea Link, Worli. Tel: 3223 1199.
• Watch The Industrial Theatre Co.’s refreshing reprisal of the Girish Karnad play Hayavadana. The play, passes for which are priced at Rs250, will be staged at 7pm on Friday, December 23, Saturday, December 24 and Sunday, December 25, at the K. R. Cama Oriental Institute. Bombay Samachar Marg, opposite Lion Gate, Fort. Call 98207 45916 to book passes.
• Listen to New Delhi-based rapper and MC Delhi Sultanate aka Taru Dalmia at the latest edition of Wobble, the monthly night of bass heavy electronica at Bandra bar Bonobo, on Friday, December 23, from 9pm. The event will also feature sets by Bandish Projekt, DJ Uri and Func aka Randolph Correia. Call the venue for details of the entry fee, if any. Kenilworth Mall (KFC Building), Phase 2, Second Floor, off Linking Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 2605 5050.
• Laugh out loud at the antics of Adam Dow and his Improv Comedy troupe when they perform at the Le Sutra hotel on Friday, December 23, from 9pm. The Rs555 cover charge gets you two Kingfisher beers and one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian starter. Call 98202 74354 for further details. 14 Union Park, Khar. Tel: 3251 1447.