Art Of The Day: Love Robes
Louise Despont got married recently, as good a reason as any to have love and other romantic things on her mind. Which is why her diptych “Long Distance Gardening” currently on display at Galerie Isa as part of her solo, shows two robes, their sleeves outstretched, almost but not quite touching each other. “I’ve been thinking of unions, of two people,” says the New York-based artist, who uses graphite and coloured pencils on the pages of antique ledger books to create intricate drawings. Indeed look closely at certain works, and behind the jumble of patterns and geometric shapes—inspired by Despont’s recent travels around India—you’ll spy the spidery scrawl of a diligent accountant, some of the writing nearly 100 years old.Tags: Art, Art of the day, Galerie Isa, Louise Despont
Location132 Great Western Building
S. B. S. Road
Opposite Lion Gate
Phone022 6637 3432
Relevant DatesUntil Tuesday, May 28
HoursFrom Tuesday to Saturday, 11am to 6pm; Monday by appointment; Sunday closed
Ticketing & Price InfoFree
You Might Also Like...
- Win A Seat At A Masterclass With MasterChef Australia’s Sarah Todd
- A Fugia Fortune: How An East Indian Matriarch Bequeathed Her Family Riches In Recipes
- A Tale Of Thaals: The Mohameds Are Upholding Bohri Traditions On A Platter
- A Thandai Tradition: How My Mum’s Sindhi Cooking Shaped Me As A Food Writer
- The Vigil Idiot: Bang Bang!