The Weekend Guide
‘The Cabin In The Woods’
Reviewers have wracked their brains on how best to describe the plot of this Joss “The Avengers” Whedon-produced horror film, without spoiling the fun (some even caution not seeing the trailer). The premise—five young folk gather in a creepy cabin in the woods and are then systematically slaughtered—may sound hackneyed, but The Cabin in the Woods has enough twists and a startling end that had some critics calling this wickedly (funny and scary) movie “a Rosetta Stone for the horror genre”.
When: From Friday, June 1.
Where: At cinemas across the city.
PALM Expo 2012
A trade fair for professional audio, lighting and music equipment may not sound like the most compelling affair, but when you add a bunch of performances by some of the city’s (and country’s) most-renowned instrumentalists, you could well make a day out of a visit to the PALM Expo. Percussionist Sivamani, jazz-rock guitarist Dhruv Ghanekar, electric sitar player Niladri Kumar, and Bollywood composers Ehsaan Noorani and Loy Mendonsa are among those who will play sets at the expo’s Harman Live Performance Arena this weekend. See here for details.
When: From Thursday, May 31 to Saturday, June 2, from 11am to 7pm.
Where: Bombay Exhibiton Centre, off the Western Express Highway, Ram Mandir Road, Goregaon (East). There is no entry fee.
‘Cinema 100’ at Whistling Woods
Subhash Ghai might have to move his film school from its sprawling campus in Goregaon by 2014, but until then the filmmaker clearly intends to make the best of it, starting with this three-day festival to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema. Of the dozens of films, talks and workshops, earmark the screening of parts of the upcoming re-release of Sholay in 3D (Saturday, June 2 at 2pm); a panel discussion on the future of Indian cinema between filmmakers R. Balki, Habib Faisal and Amol Gupte, (Sunday, June 3 at 3pm); and a claymation workshop that will show you the tricks of the trade (Sunday, June 3 at noon). There will also be an exhibition of film posters, plus a chance to catch classics like Amar Akbar Anthony, Mother India and Salaam Bombay.
When: Friday, June 1 to Sunday, June 3.
Where: Whistling Woods Campus, Film City, Goregaon (East). To register, visit whistlingwoods.net or call 3091 6000/99609 43999. All events are free.
ALSO AROUND TOWN
• Dance to the sounds of house music DJ Anil Chawla; Spacejams of Mumbai-based electronica collective Bhavishyavani Future Soundz; and resident DJ Mikhail at the F Bar, Lounge and Diner this Friday, June 1, from 9pm onwards. Call the venue for details of the cover charge. F Bar, Lounge and Diner, Third Floor, next to Gold’s Gym, One India Bulls, Senapati Bapat Marg, Elphinstone Road. Tel: 6650 5820.
• Bop your head at the Big Bass Night at Blue Frog this Friday, June 1, from 10.30pm onwards, when drum n’ bass/dubstep acts, Ox7gen aka Aditya Ashok, Bay Beat Collective and Bangalore’s Vachan Chinnappa will take turns at the console. The entry fee is Rs500. Blue Frog, Mathuradas Mills Compound, Tulsi Pipe Road, Lower Parel. Tel: 6158 6158.
• Attend a photography workshop at Sanjay Gandhi National Park this Saturday, June 2, with documentary filmmaker and lensman Praveen Singh, who will show you how best to photograph nature. The registration fee for the workshop, from 7am to noon, is Rs1,800 per person (and includes the cost of the ticket to enter the Park). It is recommended that you bring your own SLR camera. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Mosh to metal acts Albatross, Zygnema, Providence, Dionysian and Chaoskampf at the brand new (and hopefully permanent) venue of B69 this Sunday, June 3, from 6pm onwards. The entry fee is Rs200. Basement, Jaisingh Business Center, Sahar Road, Parsiwada, near the Bisleri Factory, Andheri (East). Call 93200 38513 for details.
• Laugh with widely popular stand-up comic Vir Das when he performs at the finale of the Foster’s LOL Evenings at Cafe Zoe on Sunday, June 3, from 7.30pm. Call the venue for details of the entry fee. Cafe Zoe, Mathuradas Mills Compound, 126 N. M. Joshi Marg, Lower Parel. Tel: 2490 2065.Tags: Albatross, Anil Chawla, B69, Bay Beat Collective, Bhavishyavani Future Soundz, Blue Frog, Cafe Zoe, Cinema 100, Comedy, F Bar Lounge and Diner, F-Bar, Film, Music, Nightlife, Ox7gen, Palm Expo, photography workshop, Praveen Singh, Providence, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, stand-up comedy, The Cabin In The Woods, Vachan Chinnappa, Vir Das, Weekend Guide, Whistling Woods, Zygnema