Buses, Autos, Taxis Will Ply During Thursday Bandh
• Bharat Bandh. The National Democratic Alliance has announced a Bharat bandh on Thursday, May 31, to protest the hike in petrol prices. The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Shiv Sena have maintained that the bandh will be total, by which they mean it will apply to transport services, schools and colleges. The BEST workers’ union and the auto and taxi unions however have said that they will not support the strike. [Hindustan Times]
• Water Shortage. The BMC has announced a 16-hour water cut in Worli on Friday, June 1, to carry out repair work on a pipeline that runs along Dr. E. Moses Road. The work will start at 7am and continue until 11pm. Areas affected will include the Century Mill quarters, Dr. Annie Besant Road, Worli BDD chawl, Pochkhanwala Road, Adarsh Nagar, and Worli Koliwada. [The Times of India]
• CBI Neglect. A special CBI court granted bail to seven accused in the Adarsh Housing Society scam as the CBI had failed to file a charge sheet within the stipulated 60 days from their arrest. The scam was exposed in 2010 when it emerged that an illegal 104-apartment society had come up on a prime plot in south Mumbai. The accused have been asked to pay a surety of Rs5 lakh each and will also have to present themselves to the CBI twice a week. [DNA]Tags: Adarsh Housing Society, BJP, BMC, CBI, Daily Digest, Shiv Sena
You Might Also Like...
- Win A Seat At A Masterclass With MasterChef Australia’s Sarah Todd
- A Fugia Fortune: How An East Indian Matriarch Bequeathed Her Family Riches In Recipes
- A Tale Of Thaals: The Mohameds Are Upholding Bohri Traditions On A Platter
- A Thandai Tradition: How My Mum’s Sindhi Cooking Shaped Me As A Food Writer
- The Vigil Idiot: Bang Bang!