Mango Gateaux By Bunty Mahajan
We ask the city’s home chefs, bartenders, food bloggers and gourmands to share their favourite recipes. This week, Bunty Mahajan, the chef and owner of Deliciae, a dessert shop with branches in Khar and Powai, tells us how to prepare a fresh mango cake.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPONGE BASE
• 6 ounces eggs
• 3 ounces sugar
• 3 ounces sifted flour
• Few drops of vanilla essence
• 1 tablespoon Dalda vegetable oil
METHOD FOR THE SPONGE BASE
• Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
• Fold in the sifted flour and vanilla essence.
• Put the batter in an 8-inch round cake tin that has been greased and lined with Dalda (1 tablespoon to line the pan).
• Bake for 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MANGO GATEAUX
• 8 inch thick sponge base
• 3 mangoes, peeled and chopped
• 250-300 grams whipped cream (should be whipped to a fairly stiff consistency with 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar, for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy).
• 150 ml sugar syrup for soaking (dissolve 25 grams sugar in 125 ml water to make the syrup).
METHOD FOR THE MANGO GATEAUX
• Cut the sponge cake into 3 layers horizontally.
• Place the bottom layer on a plate and pour half the sugar syrup over the cake.
• Spread some whipped cream on top of this layer of sponge.
• Top this with chopped mangoes and then spread another thin layer of cream to hold the mango pieces together.
• Place the second layer of sponge on top of this, and repeat the above procedure.
• Place the final layer of sponge over this layer and soak it with the remaining sugar syrup.
• Smear whipped cream on the entire circumference of the cake and on top of the final layer.
• Decorate the top layer with mango slices and serve.