The Weekend Guide
Urban Culture Project at Blue Frog
B-boys, beatboxers, graffiti artists, DJs and hip hop acts from Mumbai and Europe will come together at Blue Frog this Saturday to celebrate the global appeal and universality of hip hop, as part of the Urban Culture Project organised by the club in collaboration with cultural organisations from France, Germany and Norway and music-centric event management company Sound Curry. The event will kick off at 6.30pm with a breakdancing jam featuring local ensemble Roc Fresh Crew. Then, at 8pm, city-based duo Boxy Turvy and Droolian from Norway will conduct a beatboxing workshop. Dharavi-based hip hop collective Sout Dandy Squad will take over the stage at 10.30pm to open for Bombay Bassment whose gig will include guest spots by German and Norwegian beatboxers, rappers and b-boys. The night will end with a set by popular British-Indian DJ Uri.
When: Saturday, May 12, from 6.30pm.
Where: Blue Frog, Mathuradas Mills Compound, Tulsi Pipe Road, Lower Parel. Tel: 6158 6158. The entry fee is Rs500 after 9pm.
Anarkali on Chapel Road
If you happened to have passed by Chapel Road in Bandra during the last few days, you might have chanced upon a mural of Mughal prince Salim gazing lovingly into the eyes of his legendary paramour Anarkali. The mural depicts a scene from the classic Hindi film Anarkali, which, in fact, will be screened outdoors on a wall next to the art work by its creators, the Bollywood Art Project, a group of folks who say they plan “to make Bombay into a visual memory of its cinema”. Seating for the screening is limited to about 60 people and while there will be chairs and mats, we recommend that you take along your own cushions to get comfortable.
When: Saturday, May 12, at 7pm.
Where: Lala Lane Compound, Chapel Road, Bandra (West). See the Facebook page for more details. The screening is free.
Mother’s Day Specials
Treat your mom to a well-deserved pampering session at sea-facing Mahalaxmi spa Rewa Escape, which will offer a 20 per cent discount on all their services from Sunday, May 13 to Friday, May 18. You could alternatively take mum to Juhu’s Myrah Spa, which has designed a three-hour Mother’s Day package that includes a rose petals foot soak, an aroma body massage, a facial and a reflexology treatment priced at Rs6,685. The Angdai Spa at Le Sutra hotel meanwhile is selling gift vouchers for Rs1,999 that will get her a Swedish massage, a facial, and a manicure or pedicure. For a meal out with the family, head to Hakkasan, which is serving a special Mother’s Day menu, or to the J. W. Marriott, which is one of several hotels hosting a special brunch.
When: Sunday, May 13.
Where: Myrah, 11, Palm Spring Society, behind Shoppers Stop, JVPD Scheme, Juhu. Tel: 2625 3968. Rewa Escape, opposite Cadbury House, Bhulabhai Desai Road. Tel: 2352 0580. Angdai Spa, Hotel Le Sutra, 14 Union Park, Khar. Tel: 6642 0025. See here for details of the food specials.
ALSO AROUND TOWN
• Visit Clark House to see an exhibition by art graduates from the J. J. School of Art and Rachna Sansad School of Design in Mumbai and M. S. University in Vadodara, who are displaying a series of installations, videos and site-specific paintings. As a bonus, these newbie artists will also be selling their smaller sculptures, etchings and drawings, within the affordable price range of Rs1,000 to Rs5,000. Daily, 11am to 7pm. Until Sunday, May 27. Clark House, Ground Floor, 8 Nathalal Parekh Marg, near Woodside Inn, Colaba. Tel: 98202 13816.
• Drink your way through a beer tasting session on Friday, May 11, from 8pm onwards, at Woodside in Andheri, where you can glug six imported beers—Leffe Blonde and Liefmans Fruitesse from Belgium, Birra Moretti from Italy, Schneider Weisse from Germany, Murphy’s from Ireland, and Viru from Estonia—and learn about the history, types and styles of beer. The Rs995 registration fee gets you a mug of each beer and finger foods such as sliders, beer-battered onion rings, and charred tomato and zucchini mousse. Woodside, New Link Plaza, Oshiwara Link Road, next to Oshiwara Police Station, Andheri (West). Tel: 2632 8963/2633 6549.
• Dance to the sounds of M.Mat from electronica collective Bhavishyavani Future Soundz and resident DJs Kris Correya and Kini Rao at F Bar, Lounge and Diner on Friday, May 11, from 9pm. Call the venue for details of the cover charge, if any. F Bar, Lounge and Diner, Third Floor, next to Gold’s Gym, One India Bulls, Senapati Bapat Marg, Elphinstone Road. Tel: 6650 5820.
• Watch Naseeruddin Shah’s adaptations of two of Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw’s celebrated works at Prithvi Theatre this weekend. On Saturday, May 12, Shah’s theatre group Motley will stage Arms & the Man at 11am, 4pm and 9pm, and on Sunday, May 13, they will perform By George!, a set of three short pieces, at 11am, 4pm and 9pm. Prithvi Theatre, Janki Kutir, Juhu. Tel: 2614 9546.
• Attend PEN@Prithvi at Prithvi House on Saturday, May 12, from 6.30pm onwards to celebrate the life of American feminist and poet Adrienne Rich at a reading of her works by curator and art historian Ranjit Hoskote. There is no entry fee. Prithvi House, First Floor, opposite Prithvi Theatre, Janki Kutir, Juhu.
• Bop to the beats of DJs Ruskin and Bhavishyavani’s Char Lee at this month’s edition of Grime Riot Disco on Saturday, May 12, from 9pm onwards, at the Bandra branch of Rude Lounge. The entry fee of Rs250 gets you a beer. RSVP via the Facebook page to get on the guest list. Rude Lounge, Hill Road, opposite Globus, Bandra (West). Tel: 2640 0066.
• Move to the mixes played by Bandish Projekt aka Mayur Narvekar, Func aka Randolph Correia, and DJ Uri this Sunday, May 13, from 4pm onwards at a Sunday sundowner edition of Wobble, the monthly bass-heavy gig held at Bonobo. Call the venue for details of the entry fee, if any. Bonobo, Kenilworth Mall Phase II, Second Floor, off Linking Road, same building as KFC, Bandra (West). Tel: 2605 5353.Tags: Adrienne Rich, Anarkali, Angdai Spa, Arms & the Man, Art, Bandish Projekt, Bhavishyavani Future Soundz, Blue Frog, Bollywood Art Project, Bombay Bassment, Bonobo, Books, Boxy Turvy, By George, Char Lee, Clark House, DJ Ruskin, DJ Uri, Droolian, F Bar Lounge and Diner, F-Bar, Film, Func, Grime Riot Disco, Hakkasan, J. W. Marriott, Kini Rao, Kris Correya, M.Mat, Mayur Narvekar, Mother's Day, Motley, Music, Myrah Spa, Naseeruddin Shah, Nightlife, PEN@Prithvi, plays, Randolph Correia, Ranjit Hoskote, Rewa Escape, Rock Fresh Crew, Rude Lounge, Sound Curry, Sout Dandy Squad, Theatre, Urban Culture Project, Weekend Guide, Wobble, Woodside