French Luxury Hotel Sofitel Opens In Mumbai This Month
• On Wednesday, December 21, Zubin D’Souza, the chef at Miro, the Mediterranean restaurant at the Svenska Design Hotel in Andheri, will host a health food cooking demonstration, from 11am to 2pm. D’Souza will prepare mint and raspberry juleps; chicken breast with sage and onion stuffing; caramelised onion marmalade; vegetable roulade with honey mustard dressing; and Christmas pudding. The session is priced at Rs999 per person, and includes a glass of sangria and lunch. Svenska Design Hotel, F73/74, Oberoi Complex, off Link Road, Andheri (West). Tel: 4431 0000.
• Nature’s Basket and All Things Nice, a company that organises wine tastings across the city, will hold a wine appreciation session at Opa, the Mediterranean restaurant in Juhu, on Saturday, December 17, from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. During the workshop, participants will get to taste both Indian and imported wines, be guided through a wine and cheese pairing, and write their own tasting notes. The session is priced at Rs1,299 per person and includes a complimentary pack of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and a 10 per cent discount coupon redeemable at any Nature’s Basket outlet in the city. Royal Garden Hotel, Ground Floor, Juhu Tara Road, Juhu. Tel: 6769 9999. Tickets are available at all Nature’s Basket outlets. See here for locations.
• CCS Hospitality, a Mumbai-based company which organised the Mumbai Wine Festival at the Radio Club in Colaba last year, will host a barbecue demonstration called Backyard BBQ, on Saturday, December 17 and Sunday, December 18, from noon to 3pm on both days. A representative from Just BBQ’s, a barbecue equipment distribution company, will show people how to operate the grills and also give tips on marinating and grilling hot dogs, hamburgers, lamb chops, steaks, chicken and seafood. The event is free, but you need to register via Facebook to attend. 14C Boran Road, opposite Elco Market, off Hill Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 6525 4573.
• The second outpost of Bandra-based pub and all-day restaurant The Elbo Room will open in Powai, on Thursday, December 15. The food and alcohol menu will be the same as at the Bandra flagship. Daily, from noon to 1am. 135-138A, The Galleria Shopping Centre, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai. Tel: 2570 1800.
• Sofitel, a chain of luxury business hotels from France, will launch its flagship Mumbai property in Bandra Kurla Complex, on Monday, December 26. The hotel will have 302 rooms, including 31 suites; an all-day restaurant called The Pondicherry Cafe that will serve Indo-French fare; a restaurant called Jyran Tandoor Dining and Lounge that will serve the cuisine of the North West Frontier Province; and three lounges, Le Bar Diamantaire, Tuskers Dining Bar and the poolside L’Oh. The hotel will also have a gourmet shop called Artisan. C-57, opposite Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (East). Tel: 6117 5000.
• Bandra-based pub Hawaiian Shack will open its second outpost in Juhu on Sunday, December 18. The new Shack, which has replaced multi-cuisine restaurant Tian, is spread across two floors, and will play retro and hip hop music. Daily, from 7pm to 1.30am. 48 Gulmohar Road, above Cafe Coffe Day, Juhu-Vile Parle Development Scheme, Juhu. Tel: 3378 4444, 3378 4445.
• A new multi-cuisine restaurant called Tuk The Urban Kitchen opened in Bandra in the first week of November. The vegetarian restaurant serves Indian, Italian, Lebanese, and Mexican fare. The menu includes kebabs, pizzas, sandwiches, pastas, risottos, nachos and tacos. Daily, from 11.30am to 11.30pm. Mangal Kunj, B Wing, in the same lane as National College, opposite SBI Learning Centre, Bandra (West). Tel: 6537 1234.
• Arsalan, a Mughlai restaurant chain from Kolkata, has opened in Khar. It serves Kolkata rolls, biryanis, kebabs, meat curries, shorbas, and Indian sweets; and offers catering services for parties and private events. Daily, from 11am to 12.30am. Ground Floor, Sapphire Building, S. V. Road, Khar. Tel: 97685 55556.Tags: All Things Nice, Arsalan, CCS Hospitality, Food scoops, Godrej Nature's Basket, Hawaiian Shack, Just BBQ, Miro, Nature's Basket, Opa, Sofitel, The Elbo Room, Tuk The Urban Kitchen