The Weekend Guide
Organic Haus Exhibition
If you’re planning to renew your resolution to eat healthy or lose weight come January, the Organic Haus gourmet food exhibition at the Trident may be exactly the place to start. The Ahmedabad-based organic food store is selling a selection of cereals, preserves, pastas and pasta sauces, cooking oils, chocolates, herbal dietary supplements, fruit juices and imported teas at its pop-up store at the Trident hotel’s Galleria, until Sunday, December 11. During our visit, we found quinoa, alphabet pasta, black olive tapenade, an entire shelf dedicated to various types of muesli, and a 10-day slimming kit, which includes a recipe book and fruit and vegetable juices. The exhibition is meant to serve as a preview of Organic Haus’s flagship Mumbai store, slated to open in Kemps Corner in February 2012. Prices start at Rs260 for a bar of chocolate.
When: Thursday, December 8 to Sunday, December 11, from 11am to 8pm.
Where: The Galleria, Trident, Nariman Point. Tel: 97697 64114.
The three art shows worth visiting this weekend are luckily all in venues within walking distance on the same road in Colaba. At Chatterjee & Lal, Minam Apang shows a selection of layered ink-on-paper and print works that weave a North Eastern myth, about a boy who was accidentally killed by a hunter, into unexpectedly graceful forms of tree barks, insects and pieces of ginger. Right next door at Volte gallery, four artists—the prolific Sheba Chhachhi, Sonia Khurana, Ranbir Kaleka and art collective Camp—are showing some of their earlier, lesser-seen works. Don’t miss Chhachhi’s powerful black-and-white photo essay of female ascetics, and Khurana’s diptych of Plexiglass cut-outs of her body placed on the ground at different locations (see image above). A few buildings down at Bungalow 8, London-based artist Rana Begum has a glowing display of neon-coloured drinking straws contorted into awkward geometric form.
When: The show at Chatterjee & Lal runs until Tuesday, January 3, 2012; the show at Volte runs until Thursday, January 5, 2012; Rana Begum’s installation at Bungalow 8 will be on display until Saturday, December 31.
Where: Chatterjee & Lal, 1/18 Kamal Mansion, First Floor, near Radio Club, Colaba. Tel: 2202 3787. Volte, 2/19 Kamal Mansion, First Floor, above Hotel White Pearl, Colaba. Tel: 2204 1220. Bungalow 8, Grants Building, 17 Arthur Bunder Road, Colaba. Tel: 2281 9880.
Ladies, bust out the plastic. A slew of shopping exhibitions this weekend is guaranteed to leave your wallet lighter but your spirits oh-so-much higher. First, swing by Gallery BMB in Fort for the Aarna exhibition, where you’ll find everything from cocktail dresses to embroidered lehengas. Then head to Black Taxi’s winter design exhibit in Khar, which will host 25 emerging labels from across India (don’t miss the pretty ballerina flats by Tantrum Shoes and the lacy, tiered party dresses by Delhi-based label Spinach). Lastly, get ahead on your Christmas shopping by picking up miniatures and etchings for friends and family at the Parimparik Karigar arts and crafts exhibition at the Museum.
When: From Thursday, December 8 to Sunday, December 11.
Where: For all details, see here.
ALSO AROUND TOWN
• Watch Mumbai Fighters India duke it out with the Los Angeles Matadors at their boxing match this Friday, December 9 at 7.30pm. For more information and to buy tickets, priced at Rs250 per person, visit mumbaifighters.com. T-Box Mobile Arena, Inorbit Mall, Malad.
• Dance to the progressive house and techno sounds of British superstar DJ John Digweed, who returns to the Mumbai stage after five years. Tickets for his gigs at Blue Frog, on Friday, December 9 and Saturday, December 10, from 10.30pm onwards, are priced at Rs2,000 per person. Mathuradas Mills Compound, Tulsi Pipe Road, Lower Parel. Tel: 6158 6158.
• Spend the weekend at a campsite near Igatpuri with Hindi indie rock singer/songwriter Ankur Tiwari for entertainment at the second edition of The Great Gig In The Sky, being organised by outdoor events company Jumpstart. The registration fee for the two-day trip, on Saturday, December 10 and Sunday, December 11, is priced at Rs2,600 and includes the cost of food, travel, accommodation and trekking activities. Call 99200 63248 or 99202 63810 for further details and to register.
• Drop by Le Mill’s “urban studio” showcase, where seven designers and one chef will be present to talk about their craftsmanship and design aesthetic. Among those to catch are Joli Joli’s talk on “trendy typography” on Saturday, December 10 at 2pm; and The Cafe at Le Mill’s chef Nicole Gonsalves-Pereira on using Indian ingredients in foreign salad recipes on Sunday, December 11 at 2pm. For more information and timings, see here. Nandlal Jani Road, next to Wadi Bunder Railyway Bridge. Tel: 2374 2415.
• Listen to songs from four different eras of Hindi film music, at “Music Heals“, a fund-raising concert for the Cancer Aid & Research Foundation that will feature the hits of music directors Kalyanji-Anandji, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Shiv-Hari, and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and performances by playback singers Kavita Krishnamurthy, Alka Yalgnik, Hariharan, Sudesh Bhosle and Javed Ali. Tickets for the show, on Saturday, December 10 at 5.30pm, are priced at Rs300, Rs500, Rs1,000, Rs2,000, Rs3,000 and Rs4,000. Andheri Sports Complex, J. P. Road, Andheri (West).
• Get a crash course in styling yourself from celebrity stylist Tanya Ghavri (she’s dressed Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Sonam Kapoor). Ghavri will work with a team from Juice hair salon to dish out tips on make-up, hair styling, following trends and more, from 11.30am to 5pm on Sunday, December 11 at The Art Loft. The session is priced at Rs3,500 per person. Valentino Rest, First Floor, above Patel Store, near Mehboob Studios, Bandra. Call 99304 83966 to register.Tags: Aarna, Ankur Tewari, Art, Black Taxi, Blue Frog, Boxing, Bungalow 8, Camp, Chatterjee & Lal, John Digweed, Jumpstart, Le Mill, Minam Apang, Mumbai Fighters India, Music, Nicole Gonsalves Pereira, Nightlife, Organic Haus, Parimparik Karigar, Rana Begum, Ranbir Kaleka, Sheba Chhachhi, Sonia Khurana, Spinach, Tantrum Shoes, Tanya Ghavri, The Art Loft, The Great Gig In The Sky, Volte, Weekend Guide