The Sweet Spot
We asked four Mumbai-based chefs to share the recipe for their favourite desserts:
• 200 grams pumpkin flesh
• 2 eggs
• 125 grams cream
• 50 grams brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• Mix all the ingredients for the shortcrust in a blender, until you get a smooth paste. Flatten it in a square baking dish and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Roast the pumpkin in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes (until the flesh is soft).
• Once roasted, blend it in a mixer to get a smooth pulp.
• Beat the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
• In a saucepan, whisk the cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger and bring to a soft boil.
• Pour the cream over the eggs and whisk lightly.
• Add the pumpkin puree to this mixture and whisk well.
• Roll out the pastry dough and line a tart ring
• Pour the pumpkin mixture in to the tart and bake at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes. The centre should remain soft.
• Refrigerate and serve cold.
Manu Chandra, executive chef of Olive Bar & Kitchen, Mumbai and Bangalore
PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM SANDWICH
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE (Serves 4)
• 150 grams butter
• 200 grams sugar
• 125 grams eggs
• 140 grams flour
• 40 grams cocoa powder
• 2 grams baking powder
• 4 grams baking soda
• 2 grams salt
• Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Prepare a nine-inch cake pan by coating it with parchment paper. Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
• In a bowl, add the butter and sugar and using an electric mixer, mix until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light.
• Gradually add in the eggs to this mixture in two additions until all the eggs have been completely incorporated.
• Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
• Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until you get a smooth mixture.
• Scrape the batter into the prepared mould and bake it in the oven for 20 minutes. Once baked, remove the cake from the mould and let it cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM
• 200 grams vanilla ice cream
• 150 grams peanut butter
• Soften the ice cream using a spatula and fold in the peanut butter paste until it is homogeneous.
• Put this mixture in a bowl and keep it in the freezer.
INGREDIENTS FOR CARAMEL BANANA SAUCE
• 200 grams sugar
• 50 grams water
• 150 grams butter
• 200 grams cream
• 200 grams banana puree
• In a pot, add sugar and water, and cook until it turns amber in colour.
• In a seperate pot, boil cream, banana puree and butter, and keep it aside.
• When the sugar water is ready, add the banana cream mixture to it and allow it to boil for a minute. Let the mixture cool and then strain it and keep aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
• Gently lift the cake onto a cutting board.
• With a serrated knife, cut the cake in half crosswise.
• Place one half of the cake, top side down, on a large piece of plastic wrap.
• Smear the softened ice cream over it, smoothing it with a spatula. Top it up with the remaining half cake, top side up.
• Place the assembled dessert back into the baking pan and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
• Place in the freezer until firm, for about two hours or overnight
• When ready to serve, remove the dessert from the freezer, unwrap, and with a serrated knife, cut into four rectangles. Dip the knife in hot water and wipe the knife with a towel between each slice. Reheat the sauce and serve it along with the peanut butter ice cream sandwich.
• If not serving immediately, wrap the sandwich in plastic and keep it in the freezer for up to a week.
Alex Sanchez, chef, The Table
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE POPS
INGREDIENTS (Makes 4 to 6)
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 3/4 cups sugar
• 1 vanilla bean
• 2 green cardamom pods
• 150 grams cream cheese
• 250 grams blueberries (fresh or frozen)
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• Combine the milk and sugar in a saucepan, scrape in the vanilla bean, add the cardamom pods and bring the mixture to boil.
• Once it has boiled, remove from the flame and allow to sit for ten minutes for the flavours to infuse.
• Strain out the vanilla and cardamom pods.
• Put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and slowly pour in the warm milk mixture while stirring with a wire whisk. Whisk well until all the lumps are gone.
• Combine the blueberries and honey in a saucepan, cook until thick and syrupy, then add lemon juice.
• Pour the milk and cream cheese mixture into popsicle molds along with the blueberries and little bit of their syrup.
• Freeze until solid and serve.
Conrad D’Souza, head chef, Pali Village Cafe
INGREDIENTS (Serves 8 )
• 500 ml fresh cream
• 500 ml milk
• 10 egg yolks
• 175 grams sugar
• 25 grams gelatine
• A few drop of vanilla essence
• Boil the milk and fresh cream in a heavy bottomed pan.
• Leave aside to cool.
• Whisk the egg yolks and sugar.
• Add this to the cream mixture.
• Dissolve the gelatin in some water and heat it till the granules dissolve.
• Add the gelatin to the cream mixture.
• Add in the vanilla essence and pour the mixture into ramekins.
• Refrigerate for five to six hours, then serve.