Recipe: Jamaican Jerk Chicken
We ask the city’s home chefs, bartenders, food bloggers and gourmands to share their favourite recipes. This week, Narender Singh, executive chef at the Hilton, Mumbai, tells us how to make Jamaican jerk chicken.
• 1 tablespoon ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon dried thyme
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
• 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 3/4 cup white vinegar
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• Juice of one lime
• 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 cup chopped white onion
• 3 green onions, finely chopped
• 1 whole chicken
• In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar.
• Whisk these ingredients and keep adding olive oil to mix while doing so. Then add the soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
• Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, onion, and green onions to the marinade.
• Rub the marinade over the whole chicken, cover it and leave aside for an hour.
• After an hour, put the chicken in the oven to roast for 35 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
• Remove from the oven, cut up the chicken pieces, pour the juices it has cooked in over it and serve.