Masaba Gupta and Narendra Kumar Open Flagship Stores
A sari by Masaba Gupta.
• Mumbai designer Narendra Kumar has launched an eponymous boutique in Khar. Kumar earlier had a store at The Courtyard in Colaba. His new store is stocked with his latest fashion week collections including “Kagemusha”, a Japanese samurai inspired menswear line he showcased at the Van Heusen India Men’s Week in August, and “Sounds of Mumbai”, a collection of daywear and loungewear for women, displayed at the Lakme India Fashion Week in September. Kumar’s bridal collection and a sports-inspired party line are also available at the store. Ground Floor, Dhariya Apartment, Kamla School Lane, Madhu Park, Khar (West). Tel: 6522 4842.
• In Juhu, lingerie boutique Boudoir London has been replaced by Masaba, designer Masaba Gupta’s flagship store. Currently in stock is Gupta’s first fashion week collection, a mix of silk and cotton saris in bold prints and colours, Indo-western kurtas, festive angarkha tops and embroidered and crushed lehengas. The store also features her semi-traditional line for children. Unit No.8, New Sujata CHS, Plot No. 28, Juhu Tara Road, opposite Satya Paul, Juhu. Tel: 6529 8694.
• The Akanksha Foundation, a Mumbai-based non-profit that works towards the education of street children, has launched the Akanksha Art Shop, where all the products are made by kids enrolled in the organisation’s education programme. The theme of their inaugural collection is the “Right to Education” and includes notebooks, paintings, canvas bags and story books for children. 8-B, Poonam Apartments, Shiv Sagar Estate, Annie Besant Road, Worli. Tel: 2491 8869.
• Last week, web search giant Google launched boutiques.com, an online space that attempts to make e-retail a lot more intuitive and convenient. Visitors can create their own boutique on the site, by using the Stylyzer tool that assesses one’s style on the basis of an exhaustive quiz. Once you’ve taken the quiz, the website will direct you to online boutiques. The site has also roped in celebrities such as Carey Mulligan, Claire Daines and Ashlee Simpson to create their own boutiques for users to browse through.
• Mumbai-based entrepreneurs Tiya Kapur Asrani and Tesha Kapur are hosting a day-long exhibition at the Four Seasons Hotel on Saturday, November 27. Herve Leger bandage dresses, bridal wear, Tanya Rossi jewellery, traditional wear, party dresses, tunics, charm bracelets by Bracialeto and candles by Crawford Market will be up for grabs at the second edition of the Bizzare Bazaar, which was held for the first time last year. Proceeds from the exhibition will be donated to Teach For India, an NGO working towards the education of the underprivileged. All shoppers will get a free gift courtesy hair care brand Paul Mitchell. The Pavillion at the Four Seasons Hotel, 114, Dr. E Moses Road, Worli. Tel: 99208 00800.Tags: Bizzare Bazaar, Boutiques.com, Four Seasons Hotel, Google, Masaba, Masaba Gupta, Narendra Kumar, shopping news, Shopping Scoops, Tesha Kapur, The Akanksha Foundation, The Akanksha Shop, Tiya Kapur Asrani